Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My baby first words


You wouldn’t believe me if I told you that my baby’s first word is “bread”. It’s not “Papa” or “Mama” but instead it’s “Bread”. He speaks the word when he is around 1 year old. I assume that he must have love bread more than anything else including his parents.hah! Whenever we go to the bread store, he would open his eyes wide straying on different kinds of pastries; long, rounded, blueberry tops, smiley face, mixed fruits and those mouth watery cakes.

The other word that often comes out from him is “miaw miaw” to mean animals. Whenever he sees a cat or a dog or a panda toy, he will say “miaw miaw”. …I find it cute but I certainly have to correct him.

Now he is 18 months I am more at ease as he is getting better in communicating things he likes and dislikes. He shakes his head to say “no” and chuckle when he mean “yes”. But sometimes he shakes his head even though he meant “yes”. I think he just meant to show his power of making a decision when he shakes his head when he really meant “yes”. Funnily, he knew that nodding his head mean “yes” but never used it to communicate.

Although I would love to see my son saying a few more words but I’m not going to push him to learn. I will let him decide when he wants to read and when he wants to play. When he wants to read, he will choose his own books and bring them to me to read or sometimes I will start reading to see if he is interested. If he is not then, I will switch to flash cards or picture books. If he is still not interested then I will leave him alone and see what he wants to do.


I find the website, Brillbaby.com interesting, they have this flashcard method to teach babies to read words and even maths. The research was lead by Dr. Glenn Doman and I think his project is brilliant.

Dr Glenn says that babies from birth to age 3 is the most crucial time for their brain development. His reason is that from the moment of conception, the brain cells multiply faster than any other cells in a baby’s body. The rapid pace of baby’s brain development continues into early childhood. At birth, the brain weighs 25 percent of its adult weight; by age one, 50 percent; by age two,75 percent and by age three, 90 percent.

I find Dr Glenn’s method useful, I made flashcards numbers for my baby and within a few days he is able to tell 3 or 4 questions right. He can point to the right card when I asked him. So, babies are really born genius. I find it a bit hard to believe but it’s true. However, my baby doesn’t really like word cards, maybe because the cards I’ve made don’t have any pictures in them. So, he is more to memorizing those words and he gets bored with them. I dropped that practice already. Instead, I opt for books with pictures and words. Picture books are fun, I can ask him a word and he will point to the picture or vice versa. It’s like a game.

Brillbaby’s forum is even more interesting as you see parents sharing immense ideas of getting their babies to read and learn. No doubt starting to read early has a lot of benefits. It means our children get to understand words fast and they are able to read and learn more.

“Knowledge is power” as quoted by Albert Einstein.





Tags: baby first words, parenting, Brillbaby, flashcards, education, Dr Glenn Doman, baby reads

No comments:

Post a Comment