Pages

Friday, June 4, 2010

Mischa Maisky: You touch my soul!



I have heard great piano players and violin players, but I have heard none of cellist players until I stumble upon Mischa Maisky’s music on a website. His music feels alive, full of emotion and he plays like a person telling his own life journey. His music is beautiful and he is utterly a genius. Never have I come across somebody who expresses music so well.

He was born in 1948 in Riga, Latvia SSR and he has studied with two great cellists, Mstislav Rostropovich and Gregor Piatigorsky.

In 1966 he won 6th Prize at the Moscow International Tchaikovsky Competition. In 1970, he was imprisoned in a labor camp near Gorky for 18 months. After his release, he emigrated to Israel, where he holds citizenship. He currently lives in Belgium and has a son and daughter.

After Mischa Maisky’s music, I hear other well known cellists like Pablo Casals, Yo-Yo Ma, Mstislav Rostropovich, Gregor Piatigorsky as well. But I still think Mischa Maisky is the exceptional one.

My most favourite pieces of his are :

Bach: Suite No.1 Prelude

Bach: Suite No.3 Gigue

Rachmaninoff Vocalise No.14

Album: Après un rêve (2000)

Bach: 6 Cello-Suiten(2000)



Tags: cello, cellist, Mischa Maisky, classical, music

No comments:

Post a Comment