Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Getting my 18 month old son to drink water




Every time I pass my son his cup, he will immediately run away and hide his face on the pillow. I have to catch him and shove the cup into his mouth; when he tasted the water he will then find that he needed a drink. He knew that he wanted a drink but I can’t figure it out why he wants to run away. Could it be he wants to play with me? He is such a playful toddler. Well at least situation is improving comparing to the first time I introduce water to him (when he was 11 months old). The first time he rejected with both hands pushing the cup away and look away.

I admit I am a difficult mom myself because in order to get my son to drink water I don’t mix them with glucose or colouring for fear that it may not be good for his health or relying too much will get him addicted. So, to get him more fluid, I’ll make sure he eats his fruit everyday and I offer him plain water almost every hour. Sometimes he will drink from his father’s cup. I should think another best way to get him to drink water is giving him different types of cups; cups with colours and cartoons.

I did some google search and found that blackstrap molasses is a very healthy kind of syrup. It is best for anyone because of its richness in iron, calcium and magnesium.

Every alternate day I will offer him blackstrap molasses with warm water. If I add them with room temperature water, the taste is really awful but with warm water it is acceptable. Luckily he likes it.

Links to Amazon:

Naturally Healthy First Foods for Baby: The Best Nutrition for the First Year and Beyond

The Baby Food Bible: A Complete Guide to Feeding Your Child, from Infancy On

Dr. Paula's Good Nutrition Guide For Babies, Toddlers, And Preschoolers


Tags: Baby,18 month old, health, blackstrap molasses

No comments:

Post a Comment