Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Are we living in an illusion?



Is it an illusion that we all grew up with the mindset that being wealthy with a big house, an expensive car and achieving all the materialistic elements in life is the road to happiness? I just wonder what is it like being rich and having all. I’m not denying that money plays a part in maintaining our basic needs in life. But is being affluent the end of it as in happily ever after? As in Cinderella’s story depicts a marriage that ends with a happily ever after?


Day after day I’m chasing after money for a house, holiday for my family, toys for my baby, luxury goods and I think the list goes on and on. It seems there is no end and finally I think I have suffocated myself with so many “want” list that I started to question myself as to what is the meaning of life.

Then I read about the life in Gaza after it was seized by the Islamic militant Hamas in 2007. Businesses were shut down by 95% and its people suffer with infrequent electricity, no employment and if lucky people get to work in illegal businesses or spy for Israel just to make ends meet. Everyday the people in Gaza are battling for survival. Extremists roam around the city and will not think a second of killing someone who defy their beliefs. Then I read another news reporting incidences of extremist group propagating our university students in our country and their plans of blowing up places of worship.

All these have led me picturing myself in all this kind of situation where extremist overtaken our country, we are left with no electricity, no water, no job, no food, watching our love ones die and living in fear of being killed anytime. Then I wonder what will happen to our children living in that kind of brutal environment.

The terror of it made me realize that how lucky we are living at this present moment where there is peace and our basic needs are met. It is selfish to think of the luxuries when others are suffering in other parts of the world. It is foolish to chase for things that might not materialize when our happiness is right in front of us. For me my happiness is my family.

The Gaza news has really opened my eyes and it reminds me to always be mindful of my love ones and to fully embrace the moments when I am with them. And be grateful with what I have now.

I have a new mission in life and that is to strip myself against the material world and begin to live my life as simple as can be with an abundance of love.

My quote:

“It takes you to understand what life is when you have nothing with you except for love. When you leave your house, your money and your greed behind then you will come to see the true meaning of life. The greatest meaning of life is to give love and to accept the love that is given. I am truly seeing them now.”






Tags: spiritual healing, money, materialistic, meaning of life, love

No comments:

Post a Comment