Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Wonders of Manuka Honey

Maybe it’s the flu season again. My mom just told me that few of my relatives are down with flu. Could it be the nights watching world cup? Well sleep deprivation does bring down your immune system.

But my husband is not a fan of world cup and neither am I. But last week my husband came down with a bad sore throat and I suggest he try Manuka honey UMF 15 and it all cleared in four days. I know it is slow recovery but then save ourselves from the side effects of medicine and not to mention the Rm50 of consulting a doctor.


I’m a fan of natural healing. It has no side effects apart from the hassle of slow recovery and it brings a lot of benefit to the body. We consume so many chemical foods these days that it’s time for us to slowly cut them down. I always believe that it is always best to take home remedy when a mere discomfort or initial symptoms show up. If the symptoms have been dragging a few days then it is better to go to the doctor.

Here are some facts about active manuka honey.

The origin of manuka honey came from New Zealand and its antibacterial properties have been known to have healed stomach ulcer, indigestion, cold, flu, sore throat, skin ulcer, mild burns and fever.

The difference between active manuka honey and the normal honey is that manuka honey is found to have the highest levels of healing properties.

If we buy an active manuka honey it has to be sealed with a UMF trademark. UMF stands for Unique Manuka Factor which is a standard for the measurement of antibacterial potency in the honey. The higher level of UMF signifies a higher antibacterial potency.

Benefits of manuka honey:

It is a natural antibiotic

Boost immune system

Ease digestion

Heal skin conditions such as eczema, scars, infected wounds, acne, cuts, burns and insect bites

There are so many natural remedy in the market, one that works for me might not work for you. So, we have to try all sorts of natural remedy and if we find one that is right, then stick to it.

A note of caution: active manuka honey or any other honey is not safe to be consumed by babies below 1 year old because of botulism which could be deadly.

My son is having flu for over a week now. But it’s not really that bad. Last week he had few dribbles from his nose but this week he only dribble once in the morning. I just gave him a teaspoon of manuka honey once in the morning and once in the evening after meal. Hopefully by tomorrow I won’t see any dribble from him anymore.



Bought it this year at Nature's Farm for RM 132 (500g).
Brand name: Waitemata UMF 15








Tags: active manuka honey, UMF, sore throat, digestion, skin disease, immune system, natural healing, home remedy

1 comment: