Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Fun with books and magazines


A month ago I picked up two Ladybird books from my parents house so that I can read to my son. I use to read them when I was young and they were there for more than 25 years already. Books are the things that were left in my old room because we use to move around a lot and most of my toys were given away.


I love children books because they are full of color illustrations and it reminds of my young and carefree life. I also have a queer habit of smelling brand new books, they just hike up my curiosity to read the contents of the book.

So, the titles that I brought back are “The Big Pancake” and “Lady and the Tramp”. The first time I read to my son, he just listens intently but after that he got impatient when I am halfway reading to him. So I change my strategy. I start to tell the story briefly in my own words and point the pictures as I go along and he is able to follow me.



I find that books like “Peekaboo” is well liked by my son because we are able to interact with each other more and he learns fast through this book. As you can see the book has lots of words given in the pictures.



 So, we treat it as a fun game. I throw him a few questions such as where the elephant, clouds, sun are and he is able to point to the pictures. Bring me smiles whenever he did it.



Women magazines, National Geographic magazines and any other magazines are just as fun too because they contain realistic quality pictures and it is easy for my son to learn about things in the world. So again I’m back with the “point and guess what” method. Whether it’s a bag, shoes, trees, zebra or monkey, somebody walking or a smile, they are all fun. My bubbly baby just babbles nonstop as if he is having a real conversation with me and I just play along as if I understand what he says.

No comments:

Post a Comment