Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

The importance of family dinner for a child’s development

Today I read a news article from ninemsn titled “Families challenged to eat together”, which says that family’s dinner time is important for a child to develop social skills and to learn about nutrition.


I think this is very true and it is a good practice for parents to make an effort to sit down during dinner time and talk to their kids about nutrition, life stories, moral habits rather than watching TV.

I remembered during my primary and teen years, I will always look forward to dinner time. It’s a time when the family gets together and shares their thoughts. I couldn’t see much of my parents during those years because they are mostly busy working. I only get to see them when they pick us up from school but never had a chance to talk to them.

We will spend almost an hour or two catching up during dinner time; they will cover all sorts of topics. My father will tell us about his work, what considers good habits and other peoples’ facts of life that he encountered where we should learn some good moral values. Sometimes he will cite some phrases from the Buddha’s teachings, telling us not to cheat and not to be greedy.

He will also ask us about our life at school, friends and teachers. We will tell him about what we encountered during our school time, he will advise us on what we have to do or maybe it become a topic of discussion whether something we do is right or wrong.

Other times we will talk about our past history that makes us laugh or giggle together. My father and mother will tell about their life when they were young and some history about my ancestors too.

All in all, dinner time is about time to understand each other and to learn from each other.

I see my father as my great life teacher. No other things are more valuable than my father’s stories and teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment